click here to jump to content  |  site map
TWTC Slogan
Connect with us on Facebook

Mission/History

Our Mission

The mission of The Women's Treatment Center (TWTC) is to provide women with a continuum of care, recovery tools, and parenting skills to maintain a sober lifestyle as they rebuild their lives and their futures, and mend the bonds with their families. 

 

A Century of Care for Women and Children

TWTC is located on the former site of the Mary Thompson Hospital of Chicago for Women and Children.  It's built on the proud legacy of service to indigent women and children that began with Dr. Mary Thompson, the first practicing woman physician in the city.

 

A graduate of the New England  Female Medical College of Boston,  Dr. Thompson relocated to Chicago in 1863 and was unable to continue her  practice, as neither of Chicago's two  hospitals allowed women to serve on  their staffs, and only one would admit  women as patients.

 

 Undaunted, Dr. Thompson rallied local women to raise funds for a new facility. In 1865, she founded The  Chicago Hospital for Women and  Children with the dual purpose of  providing services to indigent women and children and clinical opportunities for women in medicine. She served at the hospital until her death in 1895.  It was renamed The Mary Thompson Hospital of Chicago for Women and Children in her honor.     

 

The hospital continued to expand and eventually relocated to its final site at 140 North Ashland Avenue, where it continued operating until financial burdens contributed to its closing in 1988.  For most of its 100+ year history, the hospital was one of only four institutions in the nation entirely staffed by women.

 

A New Era of Healing Begins

TWTC ushered in a new era in the hospital's legacy of leadership in women's and children's health.  In 1990, the state was faced with an acute shortage of drug-treatment programs for pregnant women and mothers.  As a result, and as part of then Governor James R. Thompson’s Drug-Free Illinois initiative, the state purchased the closed hospital, and reopened it as The Women’s Treatment Center, a rehabilitation center where women could live with their children during their recovery.  

 

TWTC has pioneered the state’s comprehensive residential substance abuse treatment services for women with and without children and become a national model for family-based, trauma-informed treatment in a community-based setting.   

 

TWTC fulfills a critical need, providing treatment and supportive services to over 2,000 women and 300 children annually.  Our work is possible because of the generous support from funders. Learn about opportunities to get involved today. Visit our So Many Ways to Give and Donation pages today!

 

Back to top

Content Copyright 2017 - The Women's Treatment Center
140 North Ashland Avenue, Chicago, Illinois 60607
Tel: 1-312-850.0050   Fax: 1-312-850.9095